— Gaurav Kumar
With the growing pace of communication and globalization, sources of data communication have been growing in all the sectors. Now a days, one of the fast growing spot in the stream of communication is the Wireless and Mobile Technology. The Mobile Phone Companies whether GSM or CDMA, are providing lucrative services at affordable prices to the consumers. The mobile phone companies are doing lot of research in enhancing their services to attract new customers. According to one news report, India is one of the World’s fastest growing mobile phone markets. As per TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) figures as on April 6, 2011, there were 791.38 million mobile phone subscribers in India. India is likely to become World's Number 1 Mobile Market by 2013 with more than a billion Mobile Users. The number of broadband connections in India has seen a continuous growth since the beginning of 2006. As on Feb 2011, the total number of broadband and Internet users in the country has reached 11.47 million, constituting 0.9% of the population. These figures and statistics of the Indian Telecommunication Industry with around 100 Mobile Phone Operators look very lucrative and obviously tremendous job opportunities are available for engineers and scientists in this stream.
Mobile and Wireless technology has become a fire wave of the future to benefit every aspect of our life including business, personal, education, medical, entertainment as well as global communication.
More than sixty percent of the world’s population has gone mobile using stylish and excellent featured handsets, computers, laptops, net books, palmtops, personal digital assistants, tablets, smart phones with GPS devices and wireless terminals. These equipments are delivered with WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G/4G services, virtual private networks and other advanced communications technologies.
The job opportunities in this stream are not restricted to the manufacturing, repair, maintenance of mobile handsets but lot of career options are available which are generally not given too much importance.
The career options in the wireless and mobile technologies include:
- Mobile Phone System Engineer
- Android, Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Mobile Applications Developer
- Mobile Applications Testing Specialist
- IPAD Developer
- Game Developer
- Mobile Architect / Mobile Software Platform Architect
- Mobile Technicians
- Mobile Plant Equipment Mechanic
- Telecommunications Tower Installation and Maintenance Engineer
- Mobile Security Expert
- Mobile Phone Verification Manager
- Mobile Architect
- Customer Care Officer
- Marketing Manager
- Technical Support Engineer
- KPI (Key Performance Indicator) Engineer.
Education and Qualifications for joining career in mobile technology
The stream of Mobile and Wireless Computing is specialization and expertise oriented. This stream requires candidate to possess an Engineering Degree with specialization in Mobile Computing, Wireless, Tele-communications or any other streams related specifically with Networking. In many cases, CCNACCNP could be an option.
Some of the educational qualifications required to join the stream of mobile and wireless computing are:
- B.E./B.Tech. in Electronics and Communications Engineering
- M.Tech. Wireless Sensor Networks
- Diploma Holders in Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Certificate in Mobile Technology
- Certification in Wireless Networking
- Associate of Science in Mobile Technology
- Associate degree in Mobile Communications Technology
- Bachelor’s degree in Mobile And Networks Engineering
- Master’s degree in Information Technology—Mobility
- Master’s degree program in Mobile Technology and Business
- Learning Design and Technology Masters Program (Education)
- Ph.D. with specialization in Telecommunications, Wireless Networks, Mobile Computing, Mobility, Security, Wireless Sand Networking.
The career in mobile and wireless workforce is very demanding now a days. Escalating use of wireless devices such as smart phones, notebooks, cell phones and laptops has generated motivation as well as competition to ensure these tools function effectively and securely.
Following are some of the job profiles in Wireless and Mobile Communications:
Mobile Application Developer
Technical Requirements and Job Description
- In-depth knowledge and experience in HTML 5.
- Strong Knowledge of Java Script, Object Oriented Java Script and Jquery
- Basic understanding of Android SDK
- Experience in an Innovation and Research team
- Exposure to programming using J2ME, Android/IPhone application SDK’s
- Understanding of Bluetooth, Wireless Data Link Layer, including WLAN, Wi-Fi and WiMAX
- Research Oriented towards mobile network protocols, including GSM, 2.5G and 3G
- Well aware or the latest advancements in mobile technologies and implementation
- Aptitude to analyze and develop algorithms for mobile applications
- Hands-on experience in the identification, discovery, evaluation and in-depth analysis of security issues of the various mobile software platforms.
Sharepoint and Mobile Expert:
Technical Requirements and Skills Required
- Experience on Microsoft Share Point 2007/2010
- Should be having in depth knowledge of workflows, solutions, templates, Integration of Sharepoint with other applications.
- Detailed Knowledge in ASP.Net, ADO. Net, C#, SQL, Silver Light
- Experience in K2 Blackpearl, Connect etc. preferred
- Mobile Apps Development Skills and Research Oriented
- Well versed with MOSS 2007, WSS 3.0 and Microsoft Share-Point Foundation 2010
- Workflow automation using Info Path, custom web part development and document management, features development
- WSS building blocks such as Features, application pages, site pages, Web Parts, custom list types, site columns, content types, custom workflows and site definitions
- Info Path forms design and publishing, BDC, excel calculation services and shared services.
Mobile User Interface Designer
- Experience in designing and prototyping UI is mandatory. Should be able to deliver the changing customer requirements
- Should have knowledge of all emerging technologies
- Should have excellent written and oral communication
- Web design experience
- Ability to create rapid and high-fidelity wireframes
- Experience of working on mobile application design — mobile web, iPhone, Android.
Mobile Repair Engineer
- Diploma in Electronics and Communications Engineering is needed or Fresh Engineering Graduates
- Sound knowledge in Basic Electronics
- Thorough knowledge in mobile phone repair at component level
- Good rework skill at component level like BGA, Micro BGA ICs replacement
- Good knowledge in Fault Analysis and Removal techniques
to be continued
The author is a Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Applications, Chitkara University, Rajpura, Punjab